Friday, February 24, 2012

Racism Only Bothers Me When I'm Shopping



*SPOILER ALERT* I'm Black. Shocker right...because I speak so fcuking eloquently nshit but, it's true I won't deny it. There's no reason to deny it. I'm Black and I'm proud. Black is beautiful. Blacker the berry....blah blah blah. Anyway, regardless of how we feel as a society I personally don't feel that "racism" will ever truly die away, sort of like roaches. When I speak of racism I'm not talking about just Black vs White I'm talking about racism against each others culture/upbringing across the board. 

I don't get offended easily...if you do that's you're own problem, and won't be finding any tips in this post. I've been called a Nigger, Nigga, Black Ass, Monkey, Your People, and maybe one other thing that I can't think of but I just laugh it off because they're usually being petty (cause I'm probably Swaggin on em) and it's funny to me. It's especially funny when someone is trying to insult you and instead of getting upset you have a burst of laughter, the look on their face is priceless. 

So I walk into the liquor store today...Chuck Taylors, Black V-Neck, Khakis, and Black Hoodie. LET ME JUST SAY...the only reason I had on the hoodie is because it's been raining all day. It started to sprinkle as I'm parking so I put my hood on my head. I can't take the risk of looking like Rihanna and walking in the store with an umbrella, that's not gangsta. Now I don't know how much this particular store is used to people stealing from them nor am aware of the ratio of thieves that actually steal things in a pair Old Navy Khakis but damn yo can a brother breath?! I'm not one of those Black guys that overreact to a simple question "can I help you" but MUST you follow me up and down the aisle just because I don't take my hood off and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

The store is only 3 aisles wide. Three employees of Indian/Middle Eastern/Southwest Asian decent. ONE entrance and ONE exit. No bullshit...when I walk in the store there were already 6 people in this little ass store. I walk in and immediately after me walks in a Black woman (with a big ass purse) and a White man (with a fcuking trench coat on) and I'M the one you're worried about?! The miniatures are behind the counter, none of these fcuking bottles are fitting in my small as hoodie and KHAKIS without you noticing bro. But I'm pretty sure that lady scooped an extra couple pints of Crown Royal in her purse and that man has put a pint of Maker's Mark in his right breast pocket while my unsuspecting Black ass is distracting you.

I could barely understand any of them on three occasions but I didn't ignorantly yell out "Speak up, speak English this is America!" I used some common sense by filling in the words or I just ignored them altogether. I didn't ask what tribe they were in "Red Dot or Feather." I save that shit for Xbox Live when I'm kicking ass.

There's nothing wrong with being alert but, as an employee of any retail or hospitality establishment it's extremely disrespectful, distracting, and unnecessary to be racial while a customer is shopping or requesting service/assistance. You could lose out on business if someone is uncomfortable or offended. Even worse, that loss of profit could be accompanied with theft from another area that you didn't think was important enough to pay attention too. Keep it light. We ALL deal with racism on a daily basis, nobody needs that shit while we're wasting our money on alcohol & clothes.






In Honor of Black History Month...

No comments:

Post a Comment